Experience a very special food culture in Rome. Enjoy a culinary journey through the historic center of Rome. Join us on the hunt for food havens, carefully avoiding tourist traps thanks to the precious guidance of…
Duration: 3 hours
This tour runs with several departures in the day depending on the season.
- Explore the ancient heart of Rome: Roman Forum, Palatine and Capitoline Hills
- Understand the Colosseum from a privileged perspective
- Learn about the nearly 2,500 year-long history of Rome
- Retrace the footsteps of the first archaeologists excavating the area
- Enjoy small groups of maximum 12 people or less, led by a local expert
- Adults (Ages 10+)
- Children (Ages 3-9)
- Infants (Ages 2 and Under)
- Private Groups starting from
Tour The Major Ancient Rome Sites
This tour focuses on the heart of ancient Rome: Colosseum (from outside only), Roman Forum, Palatine Hill and Capitoline hill.
Join us for a crash course in ancient Roman history! Starting with Romulus and Remus, through the Republic, on to the birth and expansion of the Roman Empire. We will learn about architecture, technology, politics, power, and propaganda. With the fall of the Empire, we will investigate the legacy of the glorious past through the apparently dormant Middle Ages until the re-birth of the Classical world during the Renaissance, and further on with the first scientific excavations in the 1800s.
We will start from the Palatine Hill, where it all began with the twins suckled by the she-wolf and where, centuries later, the emperors built their elaborate residences in lavishly competitions to outdo their predecessors.
We will proceed through the Roman Forum, the very heart of the ancient city with its approximately 2,500 years of nearly continuous history. Here we will pause to admire the majestic Flavian Amphitheater, aka Colosseum.
We will not go inside the Colosseum but gaze upon it from within the Roman Forum. We won’t join the long lines to go inside and squeeze through large groups. Instead, we will understand the context of its construction and what it came to symbolize throughout the centuries, from a privileged viewpoint.
Our last stop is the Capitoline hill, the sacred heart of the ancient city with some of the most important and earliest temples. We will take one last stunning view of the heart of ancient Rome before climbing up to the Campidoglio and end our tour in the square designed by Michelangelo Buonarroti.
- Palatine Hill
- Roman Forum
- Colosseum from a privileged viewpoint
- Capitoline Hill
- Piazza del Campidoglio
- Expert Walks in Europe tour guide
- Preferential entry tickets to Palatine Hill and Roman Forum
- Small groups of max 12 or private tour
- Transport to/from the meeting spot
- Food and drinks
- Colosseum visit
We meet at the entrance to the Palatine Hill on Via di San Gregorio 30. Your guide will have a signboard that says Walks In Europe.