Each street has a story to tell, and each corner reveals a different secret, but these are the coolest neighborhoods in Lisbon. Get acquainted with the rich history of Baixa, Chiado & Bairro Alto
Duration: 3 hours
This tour runs every day
- Morning tour leaves at 10:00
- Afternoon tour leaves at 14:00
- We meet next to the Bank across the Pastes De Belém. The Bank is Santander and is a red house. The address is Rua De Belm 103, 1300-083 Lisboa.
- Your guide will have a signboard that says Walks In Europe.
- Adults (Ages 10+)
- Children (Ages 3-9)
- Infants (Ages 2 and Under)
- Private Tour
Age of Discovery In Lisbon: Walking tour of Belém
Belém is the setting for many of Lisbon’s most iconic and important attractions. It’s a delightful district that combines historical monuments, fascinating museums, and carefully maintained parks, all of which line the cooling waters of the Tejo estuary.
Iconic Cafe Pasteis de Belém is a great place to taste and talk about the famous egg tarts that were created before the 18th century by Catholic monks at the Jerónimos Monastery.
( Please note we will only pass from outside this cafe in high season because it is very crowded.)
Belém has a close connection to the early explorers, as Vasco da Gama spent his last night here before his epic voyage to India.
The Mosteiro dos Jerónimos is the extravagant monastery that was funded by the 5% tax levied on spices that flowed into Portugal. Originally designed as a modest monastery complex, the excessive trade wealth extended the construction by 50 years, to create one of the most ornate religious buildings in Portugal. It is also a UNESCO world heritage site.
Another monument that adds to Belém’s reputation is the historically essential Discoveries Monument. One of the most iconic monuments of Lisbon, it was constructed to promote national self-confidence, while honoring the great Portuguese explorers.
Belem Lisbon tour also includes the delightful Torre de Belém that once stood in the center of the Tejo Estuary, to guard the city against sea bound attack, and today the little fort has become the emblem of Lisbon. For such a small defensive fortification, the Torre de Belém was constructed with intricate craftsmanship and is adorned with beautifully carved stonework.
Belem is full of charming cafés and restaurants, many of which offer outdoor terrace seating. Please ask your guide for recommendations before the end of your tour.
- Join our Belem Lisbon walking tour to discover Portugal’s age of discovery!
- There will be a max 12 people ( or a private tour) for a more interactive and personal experience
- Visit Jerónimos Monastery with a specialist local guide
- Savor Pastéis de Belém for Egg Tarts
- Enjoy the famous Monument of Discoveries
- Explore the famous Belem Tower
- Entrance fees for the Jerónimos Monastery
- Professional art historian guide
- Small-group tour or private tour
- Walking tour
- Transport if you’re staying outside of Lisbon
- Tickets for Belem Tower