Each street has a story to tell, and each corner reveals a different secret, but these are the coolest neighborhoods in Lisbon.
Duration: 3 hours
This tour runs everyday
- Morning tour leaves at 09:30
- Afternoon tour leaves at 14:00
- Pastéis de Belém bakery. It tends to get quite crowded; please wait outside for your guide.
- Your guide will have a signboard that says Walks In Europe
Age of Discovery In Lisbon
Belem is the setting for many of Lisbon’s most iconic and important attractions. It’s a delightful district that combines historical monuments, fascinating museums, and carefully maintained parks, all of which line the cooling waters of the Tejo estuary.
Iconic Cafe Pasteis de Belem is a great meeting point to taste and talk about the famous egg tarts that were created before the 18th century by Catholic monks at the Jerónimos Monastery.
Belem has a close connection to the early explorers, as Vasco da Gama spent his last night here before his epic voyage to India.
The Mosteiro dos Jerónimos is the extravagant monastery that was funded by the 5% tax levied on spices that flowed into Portugal. Originally designed as a modest monastery complex, the excessive trade wealth extended the construction by 50 years, to create one of the most ornate religious buildings in Portugal.
Another monument that adds to Belem’s reputation is the historically essential Discoveries Monument. One of the most iconic monuments of Lisbon, it was constructed to promote national self-confidence, while honoring the great Portuguese explorers.
Belem Lisbon tour also includes the delightful Torre de Belem that once stood in the center of the Tejo Estuary, to guard the city against sea bound attack, and today the little fort has become the emblem of Lisbon. For such a small defensive fortification, the Torre de Belem was constructed with intricate craftsmanship and is adorned with beautiful carved stonework.
Belem is full of charming cafés and restaurants, many of which offer outdoor terrace seating. Your guide organizes lunch in one of her favorite spots as part of the Belem Lisbon tour.
- Join our Belem Lisbon walking tour to discover Portugal’s age of discovery!
- There will be a max 8 people ( or a private tour) so it’s always a small group tour for individual attention.
- See Belem with a specialist local guide and understand its significance as the setting for many of Lisbon’s most iconic and important attractions.
- Walk though a delightful district that combines historic monuments, fascinating museums .
- Savor Pastéis de Belém for Egg Tarts
- Visit Jeronimos Monastry and learn its significance in local history ( Tickets included)
- Enjoy the famous Monument of Discoveries ( Padrão dos Descobrimento)
- Entrance fees
- Professional art historian guide
- Small-group tour or private tour
- Walking tour
- Transport if you’re staying outside of Lisbon