Visit and tour this pleasantly upbeat old town with amazing historical charm and architecture.
Duration: 5 Hours
This tour runs everyday
- Morning tour leaves at 08:50
- We meet at Rossio Train Station. Please walk in and wait by the Starbucks.
- Your guide will have a signboard that says Walks In Europe
Discover Portugal’s Most Magical Town!
Hop on a train ride from Lisbon for only an hour to see beautiful and historical Sintra. It’s a UNESCO Heritage Site covered in palaces and is a romantic setting.
• Perhaps the most popular reason why our clients take the Sintra Lisbon tour is to see the many palaces and manor estates that have given the town its “fairytale” reputation with the 19th-century Pena Palace easily being the most romantic of the bunch.
• Pena Palace sits at the top of one of the highest mountains and offers some of the best views in Sintra. Its gardens and woods around the estate add to the beauty on site. (Pena Palace is only included as an extension)
• Your Sintra Lisbon tour starts discovering Sintra’s romantic reputation with the historically significant Sintra National Palace. This is the oldest National Palace in Portugal and also has some of the oldest tiles we can find in Portugal with Moorish tiles from the 16th century.
• The mysterious Quinta da Regaleira is another well-visited landmark, perhaps as equally sought out as the Pena and Sintra Palaces. Built in the Manueline style ( this is the Portuguese National Style created in the 16th century during the reign of King Manuel. This is the style of Jeronimos Monastery and Tower of Belem.
• The real charm is the towers, wells, and tunnels. Numerous stories and legends have popped up around this estate, suggesting that it was once the secret meeting place for rituals.
• Because our guide is a historian, we connect the decoration of Quinta da Regaleira with the larger context of European history.
• Downtown Sintra is full of charming cafés and restaurants, many of which offer outdoor terrace seating. Your guide will give some recommendations to organize lunch in one of her favorite spots as part of the Sintra Lisbon tour.
• This is the end of the short Sintra Lisbon tour, and you have the remainder of the day at your leisure or use your tickets getting back to Lisbon on the train.
- Join Sintra day trip by train from Lisbon’s famous Rossio Station
- Discover UNESCO World heritage site of romantic charm in 5 hours
- See best-preserved medieval royal residences with a specialist guide
- Enjoy the intimacy of a small group walking tour of max 8 people. Or choose to go private.
- Entrance fees
- Train tickets from Lisbon to Sintra and back
- Professional art historian guide
- Small-group tour
- Walking tour
- Food and drinks
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Pena Palace visit