Walk the streets and piazzas of Rome as the sunset light warmly embraces palaces and fountains before night falls. Our local expert will introduce Rome’s culture, history, art and how these relate to…
Duration: 3 hours
This tour runs with several departures in the day depending on the season.
- Indulge on coffee, pizza al taglio and tastings of traditional dishes with a glass of wine or beer.
- Savor mouth-watering street food and fresh local produce
- Learn about the history of the area and its unique culinary specialties
- Vegetarian and non-alcoholic options available
- Enjoy small groups of maximum 12 people or less led by a local expert
- Adults (Ages 10+)
- Children (Ages 3-9)
- Infants (Ages 2 and Under)
- Private Tour starting from
Rome Testaccio Food Tour
Explore one of the more vibrant food markets of the city, to be found in Testaccio, considered by Romans the birthplace of the Cucina Romana, a hotspot for foodies and food connoisseurs alike.
We will start our tour by retracing the history of the area to its distant past when it used to accommodate the river harbor of ancient Rome. Witness to the turnover of food during the Republic and Imperial periods is Monte Testaccio, a man-made hill of ancient broken vessels hovering over the neighborhood.
We will visit the ex – Mattatoio, former slaughterhouse, built at the end of the 1800s close to the cattle market. Around it the area grew to accommodate the increasing number of workers and their families, living on poor cuts, still nowadays a very distinctive aspect of the Roman culinary tradition.
The complex was closed down and relocated in 1975 and nowadays is an interesting example of industrial archaeology housing the faculty of Architecture, a music school and a number of exhibition spaces among other businesses.
From here we will continue onto the Nuovo Mercato di Testaccio, a lively food and fresh produce market, where we will look out for different varieties of in-season vegetables and fruit and how these find their way into the local dishes. Bread, meat, fish and cheeses are also on sale at the market, as well as stalls serving traditional Roman “street food”.
Finally, we will continue to explore Testaccio and more food venues (alimentari, cafes) ending on via Galvani.
Rome Testaccio Market and Food tour is led by an experienced, knowledgeable and friendly guide to a small group of maximum 12 people. It can also be booked as a private customizable tour.
- Nuovo Mercato di Testaccio
- Mattatoio: Rome’s former slaughterhouse
- Monte Testaccio from outside
- Expert Walks in Europe gourmet guide
- Small groups of 12 or private tours
- All food samplings on the go
- Transport back to/from meeting spot
We meet outside the ex-Mattatoio (former slaughterhouse) at Piazza Orazio Giustiniani, 4, 00153 Roma RM
Your guide will have a signboard that says Walks In Europe.