Join our 3-hour Tallinn Old Town walking tour to discover how Kings, queens, and czars have walked the streets of the charming two-tiered city.
Duration: 3 hours
This tour runs everyday
- Morning tour leaves at 10:00
- Afternoon tour leaves at 14:00
- Shore excursions: we do customize your time according to the ship’s schedule.
- Shore Excursions: All start and end at the dock.
- Shared Parties: We meet at the Viru Gate. You’ll receive proper instructions when you book.
Kid-friendly Tallinn Walking Tour at a Relaxed Pace
We developed a more family-friendly Tallinn walking tour at a relaxed pace for kids and included a bit more interesting sites compared to our adult tours. Although Old Town itself is quite interesting, our additions make it easier to concentrate!
We encourage you to take this tour if you are touring Tallinn with kids.
Tallinn’s appeal is rooted in its rich history. Its UNESCO-protected old town has winding alleyways, ornate doorways, and medieval courtyards. Among Medieval Nordic cities, there’s none nearly as well-preserved as Tallinn, nor more dense with restaurants, cafés, and surprises.
Kings, queens, and czars have walked the streets of the charming two-tiered city. Tallinn once consisted of two feuding medieval towns separated by a wall. The upper town, called Toompea was the seat of government ruling Estonia. The lower town was an autonomous Hanseatic trading center filled with German, Danish, and Swedish merchants.
With its pastel-colored buildings all pretty in a row, the Town Hall Square is reminiscent of pages from a children’s fairytale book; the highlight of Tallinn with kids tour.
Our fun walking tours around Tallinn Old Town allow you to explore the city at a leisurely pace. You won’t want to miss the intriguing details on the grand baroque buildings, crumbling stucco facades, monumental gates, and marble streets.
We stop and have a break at a traditional establishment to enjoy samples of marzipan and a coffee before we head to the upper town.
The focus for the Tallinn with kids tour is the Upper City and the Kiek In De Kök where they’ll walk around Danish King’s Garden, too. This massive, 38m-high cannon tower houses an extensive museum of the town’s fortifications, weapons, and medieval-era life.
Kiek in de Kök was originally built in the 1470s, but quickly expanded and strengthened with walls that are four meters thick. See 1670s-era military tunnels that run beneath Toompea and learn about their fascinating history and view Tallinn from below.
Like any respectable medieval town, Tallinn has its share of underground passageways, particularly the defensive tunnel systems built during the time of Swedish rule.
Back then an attack was a constant worry, so city planners constructed high bastion walls around the outside of the fortified city. They also installed tunnels under the base of the walls so they could safely move soldiers and ammunition to where they were needed, not to mention spy on the enemy.
The kid-friendly Tallinn tour includes a slow-moving train ride when possible. Sometimes, it is too crowded to enjoy the ride and we skip it.
St.Olaf’s Church Tower is one of the highlights of the tour and kids love climbing it. It’s a grand structure, a 124-meter tower and is considered to be one of the symbols of Tallinn. There are 232 steps up to the tower’s viewing platform on a winding staircase to enjoy the views of the city.
- Join a child friendly local guide to discover Tallinn old town as a family
- Highlights of Tallinn old town customized to children’s attention span
- Enjoy marzipans, slow moving train ride and haunted castles
- Small groups of max 8 people for more intimate attention or private tours
- If you’re on a cruise ship, we meet you at the dock.
- Le us know your ship details and we will customise accordingly.
- Entrance fees for Kiek in de Kök and St. Olaf’s Church
- Professional guide
- Port pickup and drop-off ( walk 10 min from port to old town)
- Small-group tour
- Walking tour
- One marzipan for each child.
- Slow train ride
- Food and drinks
- Vehicle for port pick up and drop off. Port is 10 minutes walk from the old town ( our guide meets you at the port)