Private Tour: Get a perspective on Tallinn Old Town that many travelers miss during this Jewish-history tour. Go beyond conventional Tallinn itineraries to visit landmarks such as the Beit Bella Synagogue and remnants of Jewish…
Duration: 4 hours
This tour runs every day
- Morning tour leaves at 09:30
- Afternoon tour leaves at 13:00
- Shared Parties: We meet at Viru Gate. Your guide will have a signboard saying “Walks In Europe”
- Private Parties: We meet you at the hotel or at the dock. Please advise details of your accommodation or cruise ship.
- Adults (Ages 10+)
- Children (Ages 3-9)
- Infants (Ages 2 and Under)
- Private Tour
Soviet History In Modern Tallinn Tour with a Private Vehicle
Meet your local guide and start your tour to discover the Soviet history of Tallinn. Drive until Lasnamae to see a fascinating part of the city that was considered Tallinn’s model socialist micro-district until the 1990s. Feel the typical Soviet atmosphere with apartment buildings that have not yet been remodeled, learn how it has preserved its original appearance as a typical residential district.
Walk through the district which is like an open-air museum of Soviet Estonia reflecting the style and architecture of its time.
Drive to the Baltic seaside to discover the Memorial to the Victims of Communism in Maarjamae dedicated to Estonian people who suffered the terror of the Soviet regime. It is a grand architectural achievement serving to remind the fragility of freedom and human life.
Continue to the outdoor exhibition of the history museum showing life-size statues of old Soviet leaders like Lenin and Stalin. Access the history of the totalitarian state and sense the ideological foundations and methods of Soviet society.
Have a break at the Pirita Yacht Club built to house the sailing games of the 1980 Moscow Olympics and enjoy the scenery of the Baltic Sea.
Cross the city center until Linnahall, one more reminisce of the 1980 Olympics, built as the city hall. Watch wonderful views of Tallinn and learn about the history and architecture of this iconic and gianormous concrete building.
End your tour at the National Library of Estonia, the largest library in the Baltic countries with underground floors for a huge book depository. Listen to its similarities with Linnahall, featuring grand stairs and accesses stairs all over adding a clearly urban dimension.
Choose to walk to the old town which is only about 10 minutes across or visit the Museum of Occupations and Freedom.
- All included sightseeing and walking tour supported by a private vehicle
- Led by a professional and local guide who lived through the Soviet occupation
- Enjoy the privileges of a small group or a private tour
- Drive around Tallinn to enjoy the historical and cultural highlights from the Soviet era
- Listen to your guide’s stories of everyday life behind the iron curtain
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Professional guide
- Small-group tour or private tour
- Hotel or dock pickup on private tours
- Drinks and food
- Transport to the meeting spot if it is a group tour