Half-day or full-day options. UNESCO World Heritage Site with romantic charm. Visit Pena Palace on a full-day tour, the best-preserved medieval royal residences.
Duration: 3 hours
This tour runs every day
- Morning tour leaves at 09:30
- Afternoon tour leaves at 14:00
- Rossio Train Station. Please walk in and see the Starbucks. Your guide will wait by the Starbucks inside the train station.
Pleasantly Upbeat Old Town Lisbon
Exploring Lisbon’s old quarter Alfama’s maze of tiny streets, cobblestoned lanes, and steep staircases feel as though you’ve stepped back in time. The winding, rabbit warren of alleyways lined with intricately tiled houses with wrought iron balconies, hanging washing, and colorful, peeling paint reinforces the feeling that this is a living, breathing district.
Alfama is Lisbon’s most picturesque neighborhood and a feast for the eyes. The brightly pained, albeit weathered houses, the pretty flowers bursting from balconies and the impressive tiling that decorates almost every inch of the district will stay with you for the rest of your time in Lisbon.
Alfama is also home to some spectacular and significant churches and cathedrals. Our Alfama Lisbon walking tour includes a stop at the Romanesque Sé Cathedral with its twin castellated bell towers, the Igreja de Santa Engrácia-Panteão Nacional which is one of the most recognizable buildings in the Alfama skyline, and the Igreja de São Vicente de Fora admired for its spectacular Baroque canopy over the altar.
Alfama Lisbon’s old quarter offers many things to do. Besides the castle and the churches, a clutch of excellent museums provides cultural diversion, Lisbon’s biggest flea market is here, too. Some of the best views in Lisbon are from lofty squares such as the Miradouro Largo das Portas do Sol – once the entrance gates to the old city.
Along the way we touch on such key themes as Moorish rule and influence, Lisbon’s working class, and of course Fado music and culture. There are many small sites to discover as you walk and your guide points out all you need to see and do in Lisbon.
- Join a small group walking tour to discover Alfama, max 8 people or private.
- Enjoy the company of a specialist local guide to to get acquainted with Portugal’s history in an efficient way organized professionally
- Visit São Jorge Castle and Miradouro das Portas do Sol
- Learn about the Moorish influence in Alfama
- Walk through Lisbon Cathedral and savor the Fado culture
- Feel this living and breathing district in Lisbon with its alleyways and historically tiled houses.
- Scholarly and local Walks In Europe Tour Guides
- Small groups of 8 or private tours
- Entrance fees
- Professional art historian guide
- Walking tour
- Food and drinks
- Transportation to/from attractions