Each street has a story to tell, and each corner reveals a different secret, but these are the coolest neighborhoods in Lisbon. Get acquainted with the rich history of Baixa, Chiado & Bairro Alto
Walking Tour of Belém in Lisbon
Explore this delightful district that combines historic monuments and a fascinating local culture
- Private Tour Base price for 2 people
The Age of Discovery In Lisbon: Private Walking tour of Belém
Join us for a walking tour of Belém, the district in Lisbon that played a significant role in the Age of Discovery. Here, you will find a perfect blend of historical landmarks, captivating museums, and immaculate parks. The district is situated along the cool waters of the Tejo estuary, making for a lovely backdrop.
Discover the history of the iconic Café Pasteis de Belém, where Catholic monks from the Jerónimos Monastery created the famous egg tarts that date back to the pre-18th century. ( Please note that during high season, we will only pass by the café from outside due to its overwhelming crowds.)
The extravagant Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, a monastery funded by the 5% tax levied on spices exported to Portugal, is another landmark that adds to Belém’s reputation. Originally designed to be a modest monastery, excessive trade wealth extended its construction by 50 years, ultimately creating one of the most ornate religious buildings in Portugal. It’s no surprise that it is also a UNESCO world heritage site.
The historically significant Discoveries Monument is another landmark that commemorates the great Portuguese explorers and promotes national pride. It’s an iconic monument of Lisbon that showcases figures such as Vasco da Gama, who spent his last night in Belém before embarking on his epic journey to India.
Explore the charming Torre de Belém, a small defensive fortification that once stood at the center of the Tejo Estuary, guarding the city against sea-bound attacks. The Torre de Belém was constructed with intricate craftsmanship and adorned with beautifully carved stonework. Today, it remains an emblem of Lisbon.
Belém is also home to numerous charming cafés and restaurants, many of which offer outdoor terrace seating. Before the end of your tour, please feel free to ask your guide for recommendations on where to dine.
- Embark on a fascinating walking tour of Belém and uncover Portugal’s Age of Discovery! Opt for a private tour for a more personalized and interactive experience with your guide.
- Discover the Jerónimos Monastery, a UNESCO World Heritage site, with the help of a knowledgeable local guide who will provide expert insights into its rich history.
- Satisfy your taste buds with the iconic Pastéis de Belém egg tarts, a traditional Portuguese pastry created by Catholic monks at the monastery.
- Marvel at the Monument of Discoveries, a symbol of Portuguese exploration and national pride, and learn about the notable figures it commemorates, including Vasco da Gama.
- Explore the famous Belém Tower, an architectural masterpiece that served as a fortress to protect the city against sea-bound attacks. Your guide will take you through its intricate stonework and reveal its significance in Portuguese history.
- Entrance fees for the Jerónimos Monastery
- Professionally licensed, local guide
- Private tours
- 3-hour walking tour at a relaxed pace
- Transport to or from the meeting spot
- Tickets for Belem Tower
We meet just across the famous patisserie Pastes De Belém.