Understand the age of discovery, unique history and culture on this Lisbon tour.
Duration: 3 hours
This tour runs every day
- Morning tour leaves at 09:30
- Afternoon tour leaves at 14:00
- Igreja de S Roque – Largo Trindade Coelho 1 , Lisbon. Here’s the address:
Each street has a story to tell, and each corner reveals a different secret. Our Lisbon Iconic Neighbourhood tour will begin with Bairo Alto neighborhood.
Bairo Alto by day appears shabby, blighted by graffiti and the neighborhood may be best known for its nightlife nowadays, but making our way through the winding streets we uncover how many of its historic buildings hold the key to understanding Lisbon’s past. The real draw of Bairo Alto is late on at the weekend when the streets become alive with the sound of Portuguese and tourists socializing over a glass of Portuguese beer. Bairo Alto can be explored during the day too as there are unique shops. This windy, hilly neighborhood created in the 16th Century is filled with bars and a Bohemian aura, making it one of the coolest places of Lisbon.
From Bairo Alto, we will go towards Chiado. Its the city’s most sophisticated shopping district. In 1988, a devastating fire swept the area, destroying many shops, particularly those on the periphery of Rua Garrett. The area has bounced back with vigor. Chiado is the fancy neighborhood where the iconic cafes like Brasileira and also Bertrand bookshop are.
From here we will continue our walking tour to Baixa. Baixa is the heart of Lisbon, and many of the capital’s finest attractions are located in Baixa. This district boasts of the grandeur that Portugal once commanded, with wide avenues and great squares.
The area was completely rebuilt after the 1755 earthquake and was one of the first cities to follow a grid plan street layout. Within a district of Baixa, there is a unique blend of specialist shops with few large brand stores, and this is thanks to the council of Lisbon which protected the price of rents.
These stores line the five streets that lead south in Baixa selling much traditional produce of Portugal.
Our Lisbon sightseeing tour includes a visit to elegant Praca de Comercio where our walking tour will come to the end. It is the largest of Lisbon’s mighty plazas.
- Discover iconic neighborhoods in Lisbon.
- Join a 3 hour walking tour with a specialist local guide.
- Enjoy a hands-on experience with a small group of max 8 people.
- Mark your list of must see charming neighbourhoods in Lisbon
- Walk the streets of Bairro Alto, Chiad, and Baixa
- Have access to keys understanding Lisbon’s past
- Entrance fees
- Professional art historian guide
- Small-group tour or private tour
- Walking tour
- Transport if you’re staying outside of Lisbon